Friday, October 19, 2007

STARS OF VOGUE - and I don't mean Anna

One of my absolute favorite forms of artistic expression is the Art of Vogue. When I am in NYC, I brave the late start times, the dragging out of the evening, the unfairness of some judging and the super late ending times of Balls because the amount of creativity is astounding. I am not a participant in the Ballroom community because the thought of me voguing or doing drag is both hilarious and scary all at the same time - I am much more of a sponge on the sidelines soaking it all up. I am all for trying new things, but me trying to walk Butch Queen up in Drags - Banjee Girl Realness (a boy in drag trying to look like a home-girl) would incite a stampede to the exit. Equally frightening would be me trying to contort my body while voguing - child, I would end up in a body cast in traction somewhere.

But, I have a profound respect for the people who have mastered the many different expressions of the ballroom. The amazing talent of some of the participants absolutely rival those of professional dancers, rappers, models, designers, entertainers, makeup artists and comedians. As far as Vogue goes, two of my favorites happen to be from the same house - The House of Ninja. These clips are not the most recent, but explain why these two are at the top of their game.



Danielle Ninja is one of the most popular and most talented natural women in the ballroom scene. She is a professional dancer as well, having performed with Janet Jackson, Beyonce, Omarion and many other stars. But in the ballroom, Danielle is a big star in her own right.
________________________________________________


Javier Ninja is an absolutely amazing performer. He is most noted for his 'Hand Performance' and 'New Way Vogue'. His inventiveness, precision and flexibility are in a class unto themselves and he keeps the legacy of the legendary Willi Ninja very much alive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about the art of vogue, however, I'm very impressed with his movements.