Friday, December 7, 2007

HOMEWARD BOUND......



I have to first apologize for my absence on my blog. I appreciate all of the people who take time out of their busy lives to check in with the goings on of my life. I love this blog and am glad to have a vehicle to express myself and pay tribute to the inspirations that have and continue to shape my life. Life brings about so many unexpected changes, both good and bad. We have to try to keep up with the pace and not get left behind. I am a strong believer that we have to fill our lives with as much love, peace and happiness as we can to buffer the sadness, hurt and pain that life naturally brings to all of us. But, even in those bad times, there is a lesson to be learned. The old saying goes that "...every cloud has it's silver lining'. Well, I am putting on my mining uniform and praying for the Silver Rush of 2008!!!

I have had the privilege, honor and blessing to live a dream of mine. For the past two years, I was living abroad in Europe designing for one of the most well known fashion houses. I have met many new people, made some amazing friends, traveled to countries that I had never seen before and had the chance to experience brand new cultures. To me, this is what life is all about - a mutual exchange of love with our brothers and sisters everywhere. I definitely had my ups and downs in this experience, but it is something that I wouldn't change for the world. Professionally and personally, I have grown leaps and bounds. This is truly an experience everyone should have as it literally opens up worlds unknown. You learn things that enhance and fine tune who you are as a person. I have to credit much of my success abroad to an absolutely wonderful boss and two guardian angels that live across the hall from me. DB is such an amazingly creative, expressive, fair and funny person and he has inspired me in so many ways - I truly thank God for bringing him into my life. He is a special man and I have grown to love him as a boss and a friend. I will miss him greatly. God truly blessed me with 2 amazing friends that happen to live just across the hall from me. They have been my guides, friends, confidantes and hang out buddies for the past 2 yrs and I am a better person for knowing them. They have taught me many things they probably don't even realize and I love them dearly - CF &BC are friends and brothers for life. (They have also become surrogate parents to Weezie who loves them to pieces!) All of my wonderful colleagues - the designers, patternmakers, tech team, the couture department and all of the people that made it all happen made such an impression on me and I will miss them all.

This amazing experience has opened up a door back home in NYC. For the past month or so, I have been traveling back and forth between Europe and NYC all too frequently trying to organize, reorganize and make sense of my life. Part of this reorganization is being given the opportunity to be the Design Director for one of Seventh Avenue's premiere fashion houses. WOW!!! I have to pinch myself sometimes. I have one last trip to wrap up my European life before I return to NYC for good with a whole new life to live. I am super excited about the new position, it's potential and working with my wonderful new boss and team.

So in honor of my return, I have selected a rendition of HOME, sung by Ms. Melinda Doolittle, the hands down best vocalist ever on American Idol. This song was originally done by the great Stephanie Mills, one of the best vocalists EVER, in the Broadway musical THE WIZ. In thinking about this song, I truly realize that she isn't just talking about a physical place. She is also speaking of a mental, spiritual and emotional place of comfort, peace and love. On some level, HOME is our quest in life. Sometimes we have to readjust and reevaluate what HOME means to us. HOME isn't just about your home, your partner or your family - it is about finding a place of serenity so that no matter what life brings, you can keep going with the knowledge that nothing and no one can bring you down.



Please keep coming back as I will be back in full swing bringing you all more of the interesting experiences and influences that keep me on my toes.

God bless you all.

XOXOXOXO

1 comment:

Deep Fried said...

Congratulations on your new opportunity. I wish you the best.
James